Mercedes 300 SL 1986
Mercedes-Benz have been producing an SL (Sport Leicht) model or range of models since 1954 with the introduction of the 300SL W198. The similarly styled but mechanically unrelated 190 followed in 1955, completing the first generation of cars. The second generation SL’s began with the 230 in 1963. It was distinguished by its lower waistline, big curved screens and a distinctive optional hardtop that earned the model its nickname of `pagoda top’. Over its nine years of production, the second generation SL’s engine grew in capacity from 2.3 litres (230SL) to 2.5 litres (250SL) and finally to 2.8 litres (280SL). The larger, third generation SL was launched in 1971, initially with just a 3.5-litre engine (350SL) mated to four-speed automatic transmission. The car featured a two-door monocoque body shell with independent suspension all round, coil springs and anti-roll bar at the front and semi-trailing arms, coil springs and anti-roll bar at the rear. The power assisted steering was Daimler-Benz’s own re-circulating ball system. Over its seventeen year reign, the R107 range was powered by no less than eight different engines – two sizes of straight-six unit and six versions of 90-degree V8.
This example finished in red with contrasting black interior and red stitching was first registered on the 3rd April 1986. The car is described as being in good overall condition, and this straight six powered car is offered with a colour matching hard top and a good service history, current MOT and UK V5.